Toolkit for reaching out to your state and local elected leaders
Every September, the President sets the refugee admissions goal for the coming fiscal year. For the current fiscal year 2019 the President set the goal at a historically low 30,000 refugees who could be resettled in Fiscal Year 2018. This comes at a time when the need has never been greater with over 70 million forcibly displaced persons worldwide, half of whom are children.
Now is the time for state and local elected leaders to take a stand and urge the President to resettle 95,000 refugees in the coming fiscal year. Reach out to your mayor, city council members, state legislators, and governors to ensure that the voices of state and local communities are heard!
Dear [Title and Name],
As your constituent, I am writing to urge you to consider supporting and signing-on to this state and local elected leader letter which calls on the President to do more to help resettle refugees in the coming fiscal year. As my elected representative, your voice matters and the President needs to know: our community welcomes refugees and wants to help them.
We are facing the worst refugee crisis in history, with over 70 million displaced persons around the world, including 25 million refugees, half of whom are children. Close to 1.4 million refugees need to be resettled to safety, and yet the U.S. has cut our commitment to the lowest levels ever.
Our community can do more to help. By signing on to this letter, you are demonstrating to the President, and the world, that our [CITY or STATE] stands with refugees.
To learn more about the letter or sign-on, please click here. Thank you for considering this request.
Make sure you call your elected representatives to encourage them to sign-on. After identifying yourself as a constituent, tell the staffer that you would like to leave a brief message:
- I am calling to urge [Title/Name] to support refugees by signing onto a letter open to all state and local elected leaders across the country.
- The letter urges the President to set the refugee admissions ceiling at 95,000 refugees in the coming fiscal year.
- Our community stands with refugees and has benefited from their contributions.We want to do more to help at a time of historic need.
- I urge you to demonstrate that our community stands with refugees at this time of historic need.
- I am happy to send an email with the link – which is welcomingrefugees2020.org – who can I send that to?
Sample tweet text:
(1) The U.S. has historically been a global leader in the protection of refugees. @xxx, will you join hundreds of other local and state elected officials and ask @POTUS to resettle at least 95,000 refugees next year? #RefugeesWelcome welcomingrefugees2020.org
(2) Last year, the President reduced refugee admissions to a historic low. @xxx, will you take action & urge the administration to #Welcome95K this year? Sign this letter:welcomingrefugees2020.org #RefugeesWelcome
(3) Last year, @POTUS reduced refugee admissions to a historic low and abandoned our longstanding leadership in refugee resettlement. @xxx, will you join hundreds of local and state elected officials and ask @POTUS to raise refugee admissions to 95K? Welcomingrefugees2020.org
(4) Our community #WelcomesRefugees. I am calling on @XXX to sign on to tell @POTUS that [name of city/state] is ready to do our part to #Welcome95K in 2020 Welcomingrefugees2020.org
Graphic to Use: